If you have ever done a search for a dog trainer, you would know it is hard to determine who to go with. Here are 5 questions to ask to help you find the right trainer for you:
- What training methods do you use? As outlined in the American College of Veterinarian Behaviorists, you want a trainer and/or behavioral consultant who uses positive reinforcement methods https://www.dacvb.org/page/PositionStatement
- What accreditation or certifications do you have? Dog training is unregulated and therefore anyone can call themselves a trainer. I recommend searching out a trainer that graduated from Karen Pryor Academy, The Academy for Dog Trainers, or the Pat Miller program. Certifications through these, PPG or IAABC are all great.
- How do you set the animal up for success? A great trainer knows we need to make the environment conducive to what we want the dog to learn.
- What happens if my dog makes a wrong choice? Seek out a trainer that says they will first lower criteria.
- What is your ideal client? Make sure your personality and your learning style fits with your trainer.